Skip to main content

Be like the birds...

     These strange, uncertain times are the source of much anxiety and paranoia for the entire world tribe. For the first time in memory, we’ve been forced to come together to face a common enemy, one that transcends borders, ideals, beliefs, socio-economics, and all those other arbitrary human associations. But we aren’t coming together in an epic Kumbaya moment. This tragedy is bringing out the best as well as the worst in people. Perhaps one of these darker aspects is the apparently inherent need to hoard resources. This has transformed a trip to the grocery store into more of a battle than an errand.
     On top of that, I’m immunocompromised, so leaving my quiet, safe, hilltop to handle necessities gets scarier each time. I feel like I’m testing my luck each time, and I know the more you tempt Lady Luck, the more likely she is to switch from friend to foe. So, I’ve been up since dawn, finalizing my list complete with alternate options in case they’re out of what I’m seeking or putting buying limits on certain items, checking for coupons and researching sales, in addition to preparing my body and mind for battle. I mean, going to the store. We’ve got N95 face masks, latex gloves, and hand sanitizer in the car. I’ve taken my supplements and gotten through the morning ish I deal with due to said crap immune system. I think I’m ready. But my man is not. He is sleeping a hard earned sleep, and I try and fail to wake him up the first time. I’m immediately overcome with a sense of panic, to the point I almost start breaking down and crying. I feel so scared. I hate not having any control. I feel so vulnerable. The spiral threatens to overtake me, and I can’t allow that. So I open the door for some fresh air. The singing of birds praising the morning wafts inside, along with a chill damp breeze. The birds are so nice. They always make me feel better. And then, I remember one of my favorite Bible verses. If I just lost you with this last statement, hang in there, I’m not about to get religious on you, promise.

    As a recovering Lutheran, I have mixed feelings about the Bible. I’ve found over the years it's most useful when it isn’t taken literally. This isn’t to cramp anyone else’s style, you believe what you want, you’re entitled to that. I personally resonate with Taoism and comparative theology/philosophy. This is my blog and therefore my perspective and I’m not going to apologize to current religious folks for it. I still read and study the Bible, but for its insightful metaphors and parables, colorful anecdotes, and useful bits of wisdom. One of my favorites is from Matthew 6:26-34. It’s always comforted me, especially in times of trial. I looked it up this morning to have it in front of me, and remember once again, why I like it so much. When reading it, replace “heavenly Father” with whatever you identify with if needed: Fate, Chaos, Muhammad, Brahman, the Tao, The Triple Goddess, Nothing, etc. What matters is the underlying message, and it's too beautiful to miss out on due to dogma.

 Matthew 6:26-34 New King James Version (NKJV)
“26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one [a]cubit to his [b]stature?

28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not [c]arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

     How lovely is that? Look at the birds. They don’t live in fear or worry about what tomorrow will bring. They don’t worry about being able to get enough food or shelter. They just wake up, and sing their praises, and go about their day. Liberated in the moment, freed from the anxiety that comes with having a frontal cortex. With great power, comes great responsibility - and having a frontal cortex is a great responsibility.

     During these extremely stressful and fearful times, we must take constant and extreme responsibility for our mindset. Should we allow ourselves to become poisoned by fear, we lose all sense of clarity and thought. We become blind. Fear causes us to attempt to crash trains into floating hospitals and hoard all the food and toilet paper. The only way we’ll come out of this current situation as healthy, happy individuals, societies, and a solid planetary tribe, is by keeping free of fear’s grip.

    I reflect upon everything I have to be grateful for. And now I feel at peace. Coincidentally, my man just woke up on his own, and off we go to the store while the rest of LA still sleeps. See, it all worked out, as things have a way of doing if you can just get out of the way.

    We must remember, we’re all in this together. And we have a choice in how positively or negatively things play out, regardless of the illness itself. We have IT, IT doesn’t have us!

So, next time you feel the fear creeping in, remember the birds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patient Review - Medical Cannabis Product - Mary’s Medicinals Transdermal Patches!

*Note: I am an independent, third party patient, reviewing new products that come into the dispensary I have designated as my Primary Care Center. They highly value constructive feedback from a patient who has a genuine debilitating condition, as well as previous experience in the industry. I hope my unique and candid insights help the Medical Cannabis Industry continue to evolve in ways that always keep patient needs first.* Please, if you find any value from this blog, please consider making a donation to the PayPal link at the top right of the page. I don't create these posts expecting anything but to help/entertain others, but I am a disabled mechanic/artist who is not currently receiving SSI/SSDI and when I'm flared up it's hard if not impossible for me to get my hustle on. I'm also working on adding Bitcoin here! :)  Management of chronic pain can be a great challenge. Most effective pain relievers are dangerous or potentially addictive, and every body has uniqu

Free of the Rat Race! (free write 4/19/10)

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson "Think from outside the box, collapse the box and take a fucking sharp knife to it." - Banksy So last week I caught the midnite showing of Banksy's new film "Exit Through the Gift Shop". I found it to be a fascinating examination of the street art scene. I have always loved "street art". Being a SoCal native I have held the privilege of constant exposure to the very best graffiti and I never tire of taking in as much as I can when I am in the city. But seeing that film really set me on fire. Witnessing the culmination of the artists and their creations is so inspiring to me. These are people who live with out fear or limits. They take risks for their chosen form of expression on a nightly basis while the world sleeps, or right out in broad daylight while the world sleepwalks. These artists really live their lives by their own terms and are free because of it. The majority of the p

Catching up with the Times - First Vlog Post! "Organic Doesn't Mean GMO Free"

Greetings All! Apologies for dropping off, again . Since I last posted here, I have been working through a very comprehensive Elimination Diet. I am putting together a write-up about my experiences and discoveries thus far, but I have been detoxing in the process (yes, detoxing from food !) and so have been extra "inflamed" as I call it. Lots of pain, brain fog, and debilitating fatigue. I keep telling myself its worth it, and it is, but its the most difficult challenge I've faced yet in my life, which is saying something considering I've seen some shit. Since writing has been challenging for me due to my cognitive dysfunctions, and crappy ergonomic chair and desk set-up, I've been playing around with the idea of starting a podcast. I don't have the proper equipment just yet for that, so for the interim I plan to post rants on YouTube. Here is my first one, inspired by some facts I picked up this morning while browsing the Interwebs. I hope you find it informa