Skip to main content

“My Addiction: City of Angels Review” – Article written for Ravers Digest, originally a Myspace exlusive circa 2008

March 3rd2008

City of Angels: Underground style jungle party in LA!!!!! 

Jungle jungle jungle!!!!  My heart races, thoughts pound, feet skip, as we near the brick building on the corner of Broadway and 38th in downtown.  My City of Angels.....its so good to be back!  Too long have I been chasing the mainstream scene in the Inland Empire and Hollywood, too long have I neglected my underground roots for big names and bottle service.  Now here we are, back on the streets where my love, my addiction to BASS all started.  I am excited to be back here, and the feeling only grows as I near the front entrance and suddenly hear barred windows shake and rattle with a bassdrop released from within.  My belly tingles, and I can't wait to be inside.  I already know in my head what it will look like.  We will enter thru the frontdoor (hurry up get inside, no standing in the street u will burn the venue!!!), and only guys will be searched, and even then probably just for weapons.  Then we will walk down a narrow corridor dotted with the occasional straggler, and we will turn a corner and walk right into the first room.  There will be no glowsticks or wings or big platform shoes tonite, it will be dark and red and and evil. 
It will intimidate those who are not true at heart.



And once we get inside, I find the picture painted in my head is not only matched by what meets the eye, but surpassed by it.  There were poppers galore (the majority of which were female!), sick breakers, a few props, and of course beautiful, loud, obnoxious, almost chaotic,  Jungle being spewed forth from many speakers.  Ahhhhhhh.................Just stepping inside jungle's warm embrace and catching my first breath of bass releases any stress or worries I had when I entered.  I soak it up like a lizard soaks up the sun when its trying to regulate its body temperature.  Music regulates my sanity.  As I take a look around this smaller area of sound, something about the DJ's turntable setup catches my eye....no way...was that???? Oh wow, they had the tables set on top of a huge snake tank, which held two giant snakes. 



I am no expert but I think they are boas, and they are beautiful.  One of them is an albino, and they both lay complacent in their cell, observing the dance floor with a royal like calm.  What an interesting touch, I think to myself.  Nice and evil and dark.  I part the black curtains suspended in the doorway between this room and the rest of the party, and step out into the second area.  This one is much larger than the first, much louder, and contains the all important "bar", which is basically just a few tables set together, covered in a disorganized heap of plastic cups and jugs and beer bottles.  I scan the room and decide that this is a nice, airy venue, the walls of which were dotted with signs requesting people to "please not write on the walls".....



Damn junglists, you can't take us anywhere!!!!To my right, a giant disoriented clock hangs against a wall, suddenly giving me an Alice in Wonderland feeling.


 
 Hey did I just fall down the rabbit hole?  Anyone know where that bastard went?  I chase my mischief around a corner and find myself on the dance floor of the main room.  Its pleasantly crowded and there is a female emcee from the UK gracing us with her lovely presence.  And like I anticipated, the floor is relatively devoid of anything that glows or blinks or glitters.  Cammo netting and red lights are suspended from the ceiling, and the sweet smells of smoke drift lazily into the air. 



 All the usual suspects from all the sick crews are here, and we greet each other as we pass by.  We are in our element, and its so good to be here all together.  I smile, and dance, and dance, and dance.  I stop only to drink some water or watch the other poppers and try to learn new moves.  The never ending Exchange of Ideas and Skills, and there are some rare moments going on on this dance floor tonight.  People are actually taking the time to teach each other new moves.  This is very rare as popping is considered a self learned art and most will tell you to go fuck yourself if one asks hey man how did you do that thing?  I do it all the time.  But tonight was the exception, and every single one of us there knew it.  We junglists are a different breed, and special things happen when you stick us all together under one roof.  Friends are made, numbers exchanged, props are given out like candy on Halloween.  Its great and awesome and perfect and beyond all descriptive words and I want it to last forever but of course it doesn't and the time to leave comes all too quickly.  When the party ends we go back to being the redheaded step children of the rave scene, back to the genre that always gets booked inside the smallest room of any venue, back to everyday life.  But when we pass each other on the street or on the dance floor at the next sugar coated, glow stick wielding event, we nod and smile and know that we are different. 
And we wouldn't have it any other way.
Each One Teach One!  

Peace Love and BASS!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patient Review - Medical Cannabis Product - Mary’s Medicinals Transdermal Patches!

*Note: I am an independent, third party patient, reviewing new products that come into the dispensary I have designated as my Primary Care Center. They highly value constructive feedback from a patient who has a genuine debilitating condition, as well as previous experience in the industry. I hope my unique and candid insights help the Medical Cannabis Industry continue to evolve in ways that always keep patient needs first.* Please, if you find any value from this blog, please consider making a donation to the PayPal link at the top right of the page. I don't create these posts expecting anything but to help/entertain others, but I am a disabled mechanic/artist who is not currently receiving SSI/SSDI and when I'm flared up it's hard if not impossible for me to get my hustle on. I'm also working on adding Bitcoin here! :)  Management of chronic pain can be a great challenge. Most effective pain relievers are dangerous or potentially addictive, and every body has uniqu

Living with Chronic Illness - Making a Heaven out of Hell

First off, I would like to give my sincerest apologies for falling off the face of the planet for the last few months. What have I been up to, one might ask? Well, to be honest, I am ashamed to say I have been mostly doing this: Which I think anyone would do in similar circumstances, but you don't get a lot done, and you're likely to miss any opportunities that come your way (like a call from the Blue Man Group or about the part as Scared Inmate #2). For the last few years I have been battling debilitating chronic illness, and until about a month ago was eluded in reaching a diagnoses.  During that time, I have been told that I'm mentally ill, had doctors give up on me, had friends, family and acquaintances think its all in my head or I'm lazy, racked up medical debt, and had unnecessary invasive medical procedures. To put it lightly, I have been through the ringer, and despite the denial of everyone else, my physical condition has continued to decline. When I develope

Free of the Rat Race! (free write 4/19/10)

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson "Think from outside the box, collapse the box and take a fucking sharp knife to it." - Banksy So last week I caught the midnite showing of Banksy's new film "Exit Through the Gift Shop". I found it to be a fascinating examination of the street art scene. I have always loved "street art". Being a SoCal native I have held the privilege of constant exposure to the very best graffiti and I never tire of taking in as much as I can when I am in the city. But seeing that film really set me on fire. Witnessing the culmination of the artists and their creations is so inspiring to me. These are people who live with out fear or limits. They take risks for their chosen form of expression on a nightly basis while the world sleeps, or right out in broad daylight while the world sleepwalks. These artists really live their lives by their own terms and are free because of it. The majority of the p