Skip to main content

"Gearheads Under 30" - Featured in the July 2010 issue of Auto Restorer Magazine

-This was featured in the July issue of 2010. For those who aren't familiar with this mag (http://www.autorestorermagazine.com/ar/), Auto Restorer is a low budget monthly periodical that is geared towards the old school domestic crowd. It's filled with wonderful how to's, tips, tricks, and other such information. Anyways, my article is slated for a series they have been running called "Gearheads Under 30", where young mechanics submit bios and pictures of their work.  I hope you enjoy this article. Huge thanks to Jason Simons for his tireless assistance with the editing!



Before I tell you about myself I would like to take a few moments to introduce you to my car—she is far more important anyhow; without her I am but a lowly ape that happens to possess a modest tool collection. How does one begin to describe the enigma known as the Toyota MR2? Well, one way to start is by examining the specs and history of the vehicle. There are three main generations of the MR2, but we will focus primarily on the first, also known under chassis code “AW11,” as that is what I have my current love affair with. Back in the mid ‘70s Toyota decided to undertake a project that would result in providing for the “average driver” a car that is both fun to drive and economical. Apparently the initial vision was nothing resembling a sports car or mid-engine chassis. But after three years of design and experimentation with engine placement it was determined by Toyota’s Research & Development that the most desirable power plant location for near-perfect weight distribution was mid-ship and transversely mounted. From this base model concept, the evolution into quasi sports car was inevitable. The MR’s fate was sealed when Toyota elected Lotus to design and tune the suspension and chassis, and Yamaha to blueprint the cylinder heads. Additionally, it didn’t help that countless hours of extensive testing were spent on real-world tracks, such as Willow Springs Raceway, with professional drivers like Dan Gurney behind the wheel. Finally, in the spring of 1984, history was made and the first mass-produced, “mid-engine, rear wheel drive, two-seater” was unveiled to the world. It was welcomed with open arms by the driving community, and received rave reviews from many esteemed publications. Car and Driver Magazine considered the Toyota MR2 as worthy enough to be listed on its 10 Best for 1986 and 1987. In 1986 the magazine stated, “Any car with a higher fun-per-dollar quotient would never be allowed by the IRS.” The TV show Top Gear rated the “Mister Two” as number 11 out of 152 models reviewed via their “Top Gear Survey”. Automobile Magazine was impressed enough with Toyota’s introduction of the mid-ship runabout to feature it on the cover of its inaugural issue– facing off against a Ferrari 308GTBi! The magazine’s website states that their owner, David E. Davis, Jr., was quoted as saying, “God help the Italians if the Japanese ever decide to build supercars." I wonder what Mr. Davis thought of the Honda NSX when it debuted in 1990!



So let’s crunch the numbers. The curb weight of a fully-optioned AW11 is a mere 2400 pounds. The engine powering this featherweight is the legendary 4AGE, which at the time of the MR2’s induction had already built a reputation for versatility, strength, and efficiency through its employment in the Corolla chassis. It is an inline, four-cylinder, iron block, dual overhead cam, and 1.6 liter: offering several variations in head and intake design and featuring Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection and variable intake geometry (TVIS). It was an incredibly revolutionary economy engine, as it was one of the first mass production motors to feature dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. Yamaha’s ingenious abilities with head design explain the 4A’s capacity to maintain ruthless efficiency and performance throughout the entire powerband. The US version is rated at 112hp @ 6600RPM’s and 97 ft-lbs of torque @ 4800. A super charged version provided a bit more pack in its punch, offering about 140HP and 109ft-lbs. Though such outputs for a 1.6 liter are impressive, specs like these for a “sports car” seem dismally low. But when you examine the data collected by Road & Track magazine during their trial run of the AW in November of 1984, you may think twice about these unassuming road warriors. Upon testing, R &T found the power to weight ratio to be 0.116, or about the equivalent of a 1954 Corvette Convertible. Additionally, it rated 0.84g of lateral acceleration on the skid pad, right on up there with the BMW M3. Add that to the fact that the engine’s stock redline is about 7500RPM’s, and you have one rev-happy, responsive little mid-engine that could. At stock setup these cars aren’t preferential for going straight, but take one for a day of auto crossing at the track or a cruise through the mountains and you will appreciate the enthusiasm displayed by just about any professional who is given the keys.

Thus the Mister Two has developed a bit of a cult following over the years. Examine its inexpensive initial cost, well-supported aftermarket, rock solid reliability, simple design, and addictive personality, and you can see how such a car would be attractive to a gearhead under thirty. I know many readers of this fine periodical don’t care much for Japanese makes. I myself love good ole American muscle, especially the less common makes like those of AMC and Mopar; it’s what I was raised on (my first love as a little girl was a 1969 Mustang Convertible). There is definitely no replacement for displacement. Eventually I will have my Challenger T/A, my AMX, and my Chevelle, but they are just too expensive for me to own at this point in my life. So, like many of my fellow youth, the Japanese car scene offers me more bang for my buck. At first it was just a substitute for the more costly makes. Had it not been for a mere twist of fate I may never have entered this world. I discovered MR2’s the same way many in the community have: by accident and sheer, dumb luck. Several years back I found myself looking for a reliable four cylinder for a daily driver after prematurely killing my 1991 Toyota Pick-Up (story for another time). I was by no means looking for a sports or performance car. But when I came upon a Crimson Red, second generation MR2, with T-Tops and “For Sale” signs right up the street from my house, I was intrigued and stopped to look. I had always admired MR2’s from afar, but never seriously considered owning one. Before I could get too much drool on her, the owners came out and offered me a test drive. Unwittingly I accepted, got into the drivers’ seat, started the car, and instantly fell in love with the sensation of the engine purring to life behind me. I could feel it mumbling sweet nothings to me through the back of the seat, muttering tales of apexes and canyon roads, enticing me to push harder, begging to be tested. I put the transmission into gear and never looked back. What started off as a “temporary” relationship has grown into a full-on obsession with pre-OBDII Japanese cars. I am now on my second MR2. I restored the 1991 T-Top and sold it to a fellow enthusiast up north. My current project is a 1987 hardtop with bare bones options that I rescued from a kid in the LA area. She was in terrible shape, but hardtops with manual transmissions, steering, and doors are rare. So when the VIN came back clean I was ecstatic to tow her home. She probably weighs less than 2200 pounds soaking wet. I am totally in love with the car and am enjoying the heck out of restoring her. My long-term plans are to make her a track toy, but since I am working on a starving artist’s budget I am focusing on just getting her in safe, running condition and cleaned up for the time being. I have gotten a pretty good start and am quite close to getting her back on the street. Thus far I have cleaned up the suspension, overhauled the brakes, rebuilt the master cylinders, replaced the engine with a freshened-up stronger 4A, replaced all the hoses in the engine bay, replaced all the filters and fluids, relocated the battery from the engine bay to the trunk, and started the process of cleaning up the paint and body. If all goes well, by the time you are reading this, “Mary” and I will be enjoying the view from one of our favorite mountaintops.

So who am I? Well I’ll tell you who I’m not: I’m not a “ricer.” People often assume that because I like Japanese cars I like “rice rockets.” They are two very different kinds of car. To sum it up, rice rockets are “all show, no go.” Personally, I use the phrase to describe any cheesy or over-the-top auto craftsmanship in general, not limiting it just to the brand. Unlike most young enthusiasts, those you may know as the “rice rocket” owners, this mechanic has been educated by mentors with racing and hot rod backgrounds. Mentors that preach meticulous attention to detail, doing things right the first time, planning and foresight, layout, knowing your roots, and keeping up with resources like Auto Restorer. I have had the privilege of working with crew chiefs who tune suspensions without computers or lasers, and the honor of apprenticing under fabricators who still make everything by hand. I have borne witness to dying arts like “lead filling.” These are experiences that cannot be bought, comprising of knowledge that cannot be sold. I carry this wealth of information with me like the most precious of gems, forever searching for more to add to the collection. My tireless curiosity and the desire to always improve myself and grow as a person are some of the reasons why I enjoy turning wrenches. Another example of why I like working on cars, especially the ones that require restoration, is the sense of patience one gains. The second you allow your emotions to get control of a situation, you have lost. Learning to be in command of your mental state is invaluable, be it under a car, behind the wheel, or in any other aspect of life.

Lastly, I am passionate about cars and motor sports because, well, I just… really, really love them! Cars are my life. The enamor I have for them is hard to explain to those who do not share it. The subject is always on my mind in some form, warping my beliefs, mindsets, and topics of conversation. Something about turning wrenches is incredibly therapeutic. If I go more than a few days without it, I get this itch in my soul that can only be soothed by getting my hands dirty. Whenever I feel restless or need a quiet place to think I seek the quiet meditation of the drivers’ seat. I savor the sights, sounds, smells, and textures of all things automotive: high-octane fuel, throaty exhausts, Brakleen, smoking tires, Loctite. I dream of apexes, drag-strip trees, and circle-track “marbles.” Encountering any such stimuli immediately sends me floating on an ephemeral wave of euphoric delirium. I am enamored by well-managed fabrication, the insanity of Sprint cars, and the beauty of a finely-laid TIG bead. I acknowledge that I am doomed to spend mass amounts of money on high-quality tools and OEM parts for as long as I live…
In short, I am a gearhead; I also just so happen to be female.



Often I am asked how I got into cars. Last time I checked we all get in the same way: through the door! My apologies, you will find that I am a bit of a “smart Alec,” though I have come to find that many mechanics are. I mean it all in good fun! To address the question, my father was one of my biggest influences. I am the oldest of three girls and so I was the designated Flashlight Holder and Brake Bleeder Assistant. He and my mother focused on and fed my love of science, insatiable desire to understand how things work, and always told me I could do anything I wanted regardless of gender or any other reason. Throughout grade school I dreamed of being an astronaut or forensic scientist, but as I grew older I realized my constant need for stimulation could never be met in a lab. After leaving high school early I did what you are “supposed to do” and started college coursework, but I struggled to find a field I could envision being actively involved with on a day to day basis for the rest of my working life. Around this same time an ex boyfriend of mine & Honda CRX enthusiast exposed me to the import tuning world, which was the initial spark in my current fanaticism. After a few years of my continued on again/off again love affair with college, I chose to attend Universal Technical Institute in 2006, where my addiction was fully unleashed, and the rest is history. Plus, I loathe desk jobs or places of employment where you have to “look busy” and deal with eight levels of management. I can’t deal with that. I may be young but I started working at 15 and have held all levels of corporate positions and they always, always motivate me to crave something more creative and less mundane. That’s one of the many reasons why I have never worked for a dealership. I am not here to badmouth anyone or say anything negative. I’m just saying that type of environment is not for me. I have no desire to work as a “tech,” making flag rate and fighting others for the gravy. I much prefer the freedom and creativity of racing or restoration. Today’s unstable world and turbulent economy makes pursuit of such careers seem futile. People under 30 are some of the hardest hit by the recession. As I write this the unemployment rate for the 16 - 24 age bracket hovers around 40 to 50%, depending on which source you use. But I have plans, dreams, and goals that I’m unwilling to give up on without a fight. I feel the youth of today could ensure their long-term survival as well as aid in the revitalization of the financial system if we proactively participate in finding solutions through the use of our skills, talents, and creativity. The spirits of entrepreneurship and exploration are part of what this great country was founded upon. Now more than ever we, as American citizens, need to get back in touch with our roots. I may be running a miniscule operation out of my garage today, but who knows what tomorrow will bring? If I stay focused and dedicated the possibilities are limitless, and it doesn’t get much more American than that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patient Review - Medical Cannabis Product - Mary’s Medicinals Transdermal Patches!

*Note: I am an independent, third party patient, reviewing new products that come into the dispensary I have designated as my Primary Care Center. They highly value constructive feedback from a patient who has a genuine debilitating condition, as well as previous experience in the industry. I hope my unique and candid insights help the Medical Cannabis Industry continue to evolve in ways that always keep patient needs first.* Please, if you find any value from this blog, please consider making a donation to the PayPal link at the top right of the page. I don't create these posts expecting anything but to help/entertain others, but I am a disabled mechanic/artist who is not currently receiving SSI/SSDI and when I'm flared up it's hard if not impossible for me to get my hustle on. I'm also working on adding Bitcoin here! :)  Management of chronic pain can be a great challenge. Most effective pain relievers are dangerous or potentially addictive, and every body has uniqu

Free of the Rat Race! (free write 4/19/10)

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson "Think from outside the box, collapse the box and take a fucking sharp knife to it." - Banksy So last week I caught the midnite showing of Banksy's new film "Exit Through the Gift Shop". I found it to be a fascinating examination of the street art scene. I have always loved "street art". Being a SoCal native I have held the privilege of constant exposure to the very best graffiti and I never tire of taking in as much as I can when I am in the city. But seeing that film really set me on fire. Witnessing the culmination of the artists and their creations is so inspiring to me. These are people who live with out fear or limits. They take risks for their chosen form of expression on a nightly basis while the world sleeps, or right out in broad daylight while the world sleepwalks. These artists really live their lives by their own terms and are free because of it. The majority of the p

Living with Chronic Illness - Making a Heaven out of Hell

First off, I would like to give my sincerest apologies for falling off the face of the planet for the last few months. What have I been up to, one might ask? Well, to be honest, I am ashamed to say I have been mostly doing this: Which I think anyone would do in similar circumstances, but you don't get a lot done, and you're likely to miss any opportunities that come your way (like a call from the Blue Man Group or about the part as Scared Inmate #2). For the last few years I have been battling debilitating chronic illness, and until about a month ago was eluded in reaching a diagnoses.  During that time, I have been told that I'm mentally ill, had doctors give up on me, had friends, family and acquaintances think its all in my head or I'm lazy, racked up medical debt, and had unnecessary invasive medical procedures. To put it lightly, I have been through the ringer, and despite the denial of everyone else, my physical condition has continued to decline. When I develope