Skip to main content

First article published in Raver's Digest, "A Walk in the Park", EDC 2001

I present my first massive, first guest list, first Raver's Digest article: Electric Daisy Carnival, June 30th, 2001 (Hansen Dam, SoCali son!).  Re-reading this for the first time in years, I sound kind of smug (and this was before I was an Angry Junglist!), and certain aspects of the author's mindset are so foreign to me now it almost seems like a different person wrote it. But I was young, and very proud of the underground...
and I guess in many ways I still am.
Here it is, in all of its unedited glory.
Enjoy.



16 years old and kandi beaded up!



Note: I was known as NadaClu, hence the nickname, and this was when we had pagers, before cell phones got big, so each Raver's Digest staff member had a designated pager code ID number, mine was 31. 


I've been going to small parties ever since I went to my first rave in '99. The biggest party I'd ever been to had around 6000 capacity. I'd tried many times to make it to a massive, but failed due to problems thrown my way by daily life (money, work, drama, etc.). So you can imagine how excited I was when Mark told me that he wanted me to go with him, Sam, and Lila to E.D.C.

How was my experience at my first massive? I would have to say that it was interesting. I was able to talk my good friends/promotions partners Aaron and James into coming with us, even though they didn't have money for tickets. They figured that if they couldn't get into the party one way or another, they could always just stand outside and pass out flyers. The six of us got to the party at around 2 p.m. After wishing James and Aaron the best of luck, Mark, Sam, Lila and I went through the usual bullshit with guest list, got our tickets, went through more bullshit with security, who stripped me of all but my clothes and my rights, and then finally got inside.



The heat was oppressive, but the venue was beautiful. Hansem Dam Park is filled with rolling hills covered with lush green grass and huge, shady trees, making it a very barefoot friendly location. The Jungle, Drum and Bass, and Ambiant areas were placed alongside eachother underneath thick groves of trees. The House and Hardcore areas were located adjacent to the other rooms so that they were facing away from eachother. The Trance room was placed all by itself since it had the largest crowd expectancy. Vendors lined one end of the park, selling everything from glow sticks and water to records and specially formulated forms of oxygen. The carnival rides lined the other end of the park. Giant water slides and slip'n'slides were placed somwhere in the middle of all this organized chaos.

After figuring out that it was way to hot to dance, Mark bought a frozen lemonade (which cost $5!) and we headed over to the Drum and Bass area to chill with all the Junglists in the shade. The next thing I knew, Aaron and James were jumping on top of me, babbling excitedly about crawling under two fences and cleverly evading security. It hadn't even taken them an hour to sneak in! They make me so proud.
 
Mark and Aaron eventually went their separate ways to go be socialites, but James and I stuck together (after all, that's what sidekicks do). We spent the rest of the afternoon traveling from shady spot to shady spot and running into people we knew. I would have died from the heat, which hit my entire being like a brick wall, had it not been for the water slides.



The party didn't start going off until around 6 p.m. when it began to reach full capacity and Bad Boy Bill mixed his House set. As the refreshing, lovely darkness of night set in and lasers and lights began to turn on, the energy of the party grew and I was able to get my much needed therapy of dancing my aggresions away. Since we both love every style of electronic music except gabbercore, James and I made an effort to check out every room. The Trance room, though overly crowded, had good music and props such as giant paper daisies crawled up the stage and speakers. The House room went OFF, of course, as did the two Drum and Bass areas where we were lucky to have two very talented MC's. I especially liked the Ambiant room, which I was in mostly for Eli Star's set.



I don't normally leave parties early, but by 11 p.m. I was sore everywhere, exhausted, and famished. James and I decided to go be the good promoters that we are and pass out flyers in front of the venue for "In the Dark" (since security wouldn't let us bring them into the event). Aaron joined us after a while, and when we ran out of flyers we got into Aaron's car, inched our way through the traffic, and drove from that little realm of magic back into reality.



All in all, I would have to say I had fun, but I didn't have the time of my life. The whole thing was too hot, too dirty (I've been to many a desert party and never gotten as dirty as I did at E.D.C.), too expensive ($2/3 for water? Fuck that). Basically...too legal. I guess I'm just a small party head and spoiled because of it. I mean, why would you wanna go to a dirty, expensive massive with anal security and pigs (oops, i mean cops) every three feet when you could go to a cheap, good old fashoned underground with drunk security and no pigs (oops, i mean cops) But, I can't bitch, because E.D.C. had an awesome vibe and an awesome lineup, and I must say I'm glad I went.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patient Review - Medical Cannabis Product - Mary’s Medicinals Transdermal Patches!

*Note: I am an independent, third party patient, reviewing new products that come into the dispensary I have designated as my Primary Care Center. They highly value constructive feedback from a patient who has a genuine debilitating condition, as well as previous experience in the industry. I hope my unique and candid insights help the Medical Cannabis Industry continue to evolve in ways that always keep patient needs first.* Please, if you find any value from this blog, please consider making a donation to the PayPal link at the top right of the page. I don't create these posts expecting anything but to help/entertain others, but I am a disabled mechanic/artist who is not currently receiving SSI/SSDI and when I'm flared up it's hard if not impossible for me to get my hustle on. I'm also working on adding Bitcoin here! :)  Management of chronic pain can be a great challenge. Most effective pain relievers are dangerous or potentially addictive, and every body has uniqu

Living with Chronic Illness - Making a Heaven out of Hell

First off, I would like to give my sincerest apologies for falling off the face of the planet for the last few months. What have I been up to, one might ask? Well, to be honest, I am ashamed to say I have been mostly doing this: Which I think anyone would do in similar circumstances, but you don't get a lot done, and you're likely to miss any opportunities that come your way (like a call from the Blue Man Group or about the part as Scared Inmate #2). For the last few years I have been battling debilitating chronic illness, and until about a month ago was eluded in reaching a diagnoses.  During that time, I have been told that I'm mentally ill, had doctors give up on me, had friends, family and acquaintances think its all in my head or I'm lazy, racked up medical debt, and had unnecessary invasive medical procedures. To put it lightly, I have been through the ringer, and despite the denial of everyone else, my physical condition has continued to decline. When I develope

Free of the Rat Race! (free write 4/19/10)

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson "Think from outside the box, collapse the box and take a fucking sharp knife to it." - Banksy So last week I caught the midnite showing of Banksy's new film "Exit Through the Gift Shop". I found it to be a fascinating examination of the street art scene. I have always loved "street art". Being a SoCal native I have held the privilege of constant exposure to the very best graffiti and I never tire of taking in as much as I can when I am in the city. But seeing that film really set me on fire. Witnessing the culmination of the artists and their creations is so inspiring to me. These are people who live with out fear or limits. They take risks for their chosen form of expression on a nightly basis while the world sleeps, or right out in broad daylight while the world sleepwalks. These artists really live their lives by their own terms and are free because of it. The majority of the p